The American Legion has been closely monitoring this continually evolving national emergency, and took the following steps on March 16, 2020:
• The national commander’s travel has now been suspended through April.
• National vice commander and National Headquarters staff travel is suspended through April as well.
• Sons of The American Legion travel is suspended through April.
2020 SPRING MEETINGS
The American Legion is in the process of assessing the 2020 Spring Meetings considering the health concerns that are coming into play. For now, the following actions have been taken:
• The current plan is that the National Executive Committee will still meet on Wednesday and Thursday. Therefore, the call in for national officers, NEC and past national commanders is still in effect for Wednesday and Thursday, May 6-7.
• Chairmen of the Americanism, Convention, Finance, Internal Affairs, Marketing, and Media & Communications commissions, and members of the Advisory Committee to the National Commander, will be called in. These individuals will receive revised letters of authorization in the coming days.
• All commission meetings are cancelled. All call-ins except those listed above are cancelled. Notices were mailed today to those that are affected by these cancellations.
• No others should plan to attend the 2020 Spring Meetings except for those listed above. If you are not called in, DO NOT ATTEND.
• The national commander’s dinner in honor of the NEC (Wednesday evening) is cancelled.
POSTS AND DEPARTMENTS
Many states are mandating that restaurants and/or bars close, and National Headquarters has begun receiving calls from posts wondering how they should respond. As always, posts and departments should abide by their local authorities’ and/or government’s guidance and mandates.
Veterans are used to adapting and overcoming. At some future point, the normal, everyday business of The American Legion will resume. National Headquarters will continue to communicate with American Legion leadership as situations continue to evolve.