Throughout the summer The American Legion and the Best Medicine Brigade have teamed for the Operation HEAL*ARIOUS nationwide tour to find the funniest veterans and military-affiliated family members – and to promote the Legion’s Be the One mission. And this week, Operation HEAL*ARIOUS kicks off a five-part virtual comedy series that is open to members of the American Legion Family and the general public.
The first event is scheduled for 8-9 p.m. ET on Wednesday, Oct. 4. Click here to register to attend. Each of the five nights will have a different theme, starting with this week’s focus on the power of humor to affect one’s outlook.
The schedule and theme for each night:
· Oct. 4 – HEAL*ARIOUS: Humor for Improved Psychological Performance. The evening will include an overview of HEAL*ARIOUS and the power of using humor to reframe negative thought patterns and depression, with a virtual performance by American Legion Tango Alpha Lima podcast host Ashley Gutermuth, and a Q&A with her and Mandatory FunDay and Dr. Jeff McNeil, an operational psychologist.
· Oct. 11 – Problem Framing Through Humor. led by Certified Humor Professional, Robin Johnson, and followed by a Best Medicine Brigade comedy performance.
· Oct. 18 – How to be Funny. Joke Writing 101 will be followed by a Best Medicine Brigade comedy performance.
· Oct. 25 – A Dose of Humor Please. A candid discussion on the challenge of adding humor in a risk averse culture. Comedians provide tips and techniques on enhancing your leadership and presentation skills with humor without getting sent to HR. Special Guest: former SNL writer and Professor Frank Chindamo.
· Nov. 1 – Comedy Bootcamp 101. Do you think you are funny? Do you wish you were more funny? This session provides tips on how to get started or to elevate your performance to the next level. Special guest: Comedian Kerri Louise (Last Comic Standing Finalist).