The American Legion Americanism and Children & Youth Division recently announced that starting Feb. 1, applications will be available for the $3,000 Eight and Forty Lung and Respiratory Disease Nursing Scholarship.
The scholarship, which has awarded more than $1.4 million since 1957, was established to assist registered nurses wanting to advance their training in pediatric lung and respiratory diseases or to prepare for positions in clinical practice and management.
Eligible positions include:
- Instructors of nurses with curricula that include pediatric lung and respiratory diseases.
- Nurse administrators or supervisors in a health-care facility that offers pediatric lung and respiratory disease treatment or therapy.
- Staff nurses in a health-care facility that provides treatment or therapy for pediatric lung and respiratory disease patients.
Scholarship applicants must:
- Be a registered nurse with a current state license who is a graduate of a regionally accredited school of nursing, or will be by the application deadline.
- Be a registered nurse who desires to continue his or her nursing education in the field of pediatric lung and respiratory disease on a part-time or full-time basis.
- Have evidence of acceptance by a regionally accredited school of nursing that will enable the applicant to fulfill the purpose for which the scholarship was established.
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Display leadership qualities.
- Be able to pursue full-time employment upon graduation.
Applicants are specifically required to have prospects of full-time employment that have a direct relationship with pediatric lung and respiratory disease nursing.
Awards are made on the basis of personal and academic qualifications, with consideration given to past experience and future employment plans as they relate to pediatric lung and respiratory disease nursing.
The deadline to apply for the nursing scholarship is May 15. Selections will be announced July 1. Applications that are incomplete or lack required documentation will not be considered. All decisions of the selection committee, comprised of Eight and Forty members, are final.
For more information or to request an application packet, contact your local Eight and Forty Scholarship chairman or write to:
The American LegionAttn: Eight and Forty ScholarshipsP.O. Box 1055Indianapolis, IN 46206