National Veteran Affairs and Rehabilitation Commission
The American Legion
Phillip L. Driskill is a native of Nowata, Oklahoma, and a graduate of Northeastern State University with a Bachelor of Arts degree. He later completed courses and boards for a Nursing Home Administrator License.
Driskill enlisted into the US Army in 1966 and was in Viet Nam by October, 1967. He served in the 2nd Field Force and was awarded the Army commendation Medal with V Device for action during the first day of the Tet Offensive, January 31, 1968. He was honorably discharged in August 1969, and spent the next 37 years taking care of veterans.
Phillip has been a life member of the American Legion, Post #135, Tahlequah, Oklahoma, AMVETS, VFW, VVA, DAV, PVA, and NSU Alumni Association.
He has served Oklahoma veterans in many capacities:
- Veterans Service Officer, northeastern Oklahoma, Oklahoma Department of Veterans Affairs (ODVA)
- Claims Office Manager, ODVA - Muskogee, Oklahoma
- Assistant Administrator, Oklahoma Veterans Center - Talihina, Oklahoma
- Administrator, Oklahoma Veterans Center - Claremore, Oklahoma
- Construction Programs Administrator (State Veterans Home construction - new and remodels), ODVA - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- Executive Director, Oklahoma Department of Veterans Affairs - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
As Executive Director, Phillip developed numerous programs and policies for veterans to ensure the State of Oklahoma led the way in caring for America's heroes. Phillip was not only responsible for over 2000 employees, he also oversaw 7 state veterans home that provided care to 1433 residents.
Phillip's honors include:
- Vice President Gore's Hammer Award for "Helping to build a government that works better and costs less."
- President of the National Association of State Veterans Homes (NASVH)
- Chairman of the NASVH/USDVA Legislative and Liaison Committee
- 2006 Northeaster State University Distinguished Alumnus
- 2007 Lifetime Achievement Award - NASVH
- 2008 National Americanism Award - Air Force Sergeants Association
- 2008 - Oklahoma Military Hall of Fame Inductee
- Board of Directors - Armed Forces Veterans Home Foundation, Suitland, Maryland
- Congressman Dan Boren's Oklahoma Veterans Council representative