Entries for the 2021 TALMA Contest must be submitted electronically. Submit entries at legion.org/talma/contest/entry.
The deadline for submissions is April 15, 2021. The time period for eligible entries to be published for the 2021 contest is Jan. 1, 2020 through Dec. 31, 2020.
TALMA Annual Contest Winners
TALMA Contest Information and Rules
- The American Legion Media Alliance (TALMA) is open to all eligible members of the alliance. Entrant(s) must be a current member(s) of The American Legion Media Alliance. All entries must be the original work of the entrant(s). Violations of copywriting rules, plagiarism or other ethical breaches could result in the entrant’s dismissal from TALMA. To learn more about joining TALMA and its benefits, visit this page.
- The contest entry period is Jan. 1 to Dec. 31. Entries must be submitted electronically no later than April 15 of the following year. (For example, entries for the 2021 contest will have been published between Jan. 1, 2020 through Dec. 31, 2020.)
- The Media and Communications Commission will review the entries before or during Spring Meetings in May and vote on the winners of each category. If the voting members do not feel that any entry meets the standards of the award, they may decide to not give an award in a particular category. Commission members will also decide on the Chairman’s Award and Innovation Award.
- The M&C chairman will be called upon to break any ties or rule on any matters that require a review.
- Winners will be notified via email by June 1 and will be invited to participate in the TALMA awards banquet at National Convention.
Rules for basis of judging
- Publications: These are both written and auditory publications that will be judged on relevance to American Legion Family content; clear, concise and balanced writing or speaking; make-up; design and appearance; use of photos and illustrations. Submit URLs or PDFs of your print publication or podcasts. Up to three examples per entry.
- Websites: They will be judged on site design, links, appropriateness of information as it relates to the American Legion Family. On the entry form, submit the electronic address (URL) for your website. If you submit more than one URL, you must do a separate entry for each submission.
- Social Media Campaigns: These will be judged on relevance to the American Legion Family, presentation; content, readability and engagement; purposes and goals, and outcomes. Submissions must include the URL for your social media site as well as a description of the social media campaign, its goals and how success was measured in no more than 2,000 characters. If you submit more than one campaign, you must do a separate entry for each submission.
- Visual Media: These will be evaluated based on originality, clarity, perspective, quality, purpose, connection to the American Legion Family and interest. Submit up to three photos or videos that have been published on same subject or event.
- Editorial / news writing: These will be judged on headline; clear, concise and accurate writing; research and grasp of subject; timely and appropriate objectives suitable to the American Legion Family. Submit only one editorial per entry.
- Editorial / informational writing: These will be judged on headline; clear, concise and accurate writing; research and grasp of subject; how well it explains subject matter and relates to the American Legion Family. Submit only one editorial per entry.
- Public relations / community outreach: These will be judged on how the entrant placed an American Legion Family event into external media. Entries should demonstrate coverage provided by outside media, as well as explain in no more than 2,000 characters how the external outreach benefitted The American Legion affiliated event, program, etc.
- Chairman's Award: A "Best in Show" award. Nominees don't submit specifically for this. The commission considers the award winners and selects one that goes above and beyond the others. Winner gets a plaque, $50 Emblem Sales credit and a seat on the TALMA task force for the coming year.
- Innovation Award: This rewards innovation in media. Nominees may submit for this but don't have to for consideration. Judges consider the award winners and other nominees to select a winner that demonstrated true innovation. Winner gets a plaque, $50 Emblem Sales credit and a seat on the TALMA task force for the coming year.