Commander: Help release Marine from Mexico

Featured in General News, National Commander
Commander: Help release Marine from Mexico

The American Legion is asking members to contact the White House and ask President Barack Obama to personally intervene on behalf of a Marine reservist now being held in a Mexican jail.

Sgt. Andrew Tahmooressi, a Purple Heart recipient who served two tours in Afghanistan, crossed the Mexican border from San Ysidro, Calif., on March 31. He maintains that the crossing was accidental and the result of poor road signage. He immediately declared to Mexican border officials that he had three legally registered firearms – a rifle, shotgun and 45-caliber pistol and ammunition – in his truck. Although legal in California, the weapons are not legal in Mexico. If convicted, Tahmooressi could face 20 years in prison. The Marine has said that he has been tortured and physically abused while in captivity.

“By nearly everybody’s account, this was an accident,” American Legion National Commander Daniel M. Dellinger said. “The United States provided more than $300 million of foreign aid to Mexico in 2012 alone, and the government there is considered a close friend and ally of the United States. This combat veteran has been held long enough. I am calling upon Legionnaires, family members and friends to contact the White House and ask that President Obama insist on his immediate release.”

At least two dozen members of Congress have also called for Tahmooressi’s release. The issue has picked up renewed attention after the president defended the controversial release of Guantanamo Bay detainees in exchange for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl by saying America “leaves no soldier behind.”

Information about calling, emailing or writing letters to the White House can be found here.

More in General News

Manuel RUBIO JR

June 29, 2014 - 8:26pm

Out of 12 Heroic President's in which Kennedy,Nixon,Ford,Carter,Reagan were my Commander's in Chief. Your the sorry's of the lot Obama.These 12 President's From my birth to the present starting with Franklin D. Roosevelt to the present no count Socialist "Shitbird". We see threw you & your Gumbo Jive. You make me so angry I cry for the United States Of America. How in the hell, Congress is this idiot getting away with Bullshit lies. You better all clean up your "Act". You Damn Liberals & your "political Correct" Bull has to stop.What is right is right, What is wrong is wrong, This Marine Brother is I guarantee Wondering Where is the State Dept.Where is Congress?? I swear on the Holy Bible, If I could do something I would be in their Faces as a Veteran of our still Mighty Nation.I'm crying in anger because of what this Administration is doing to a Honorable Discharged Marine.Do you here tou Idiot "Obame"..

Manuel RUBIO JR

June 29, 2014 - 8:24pm

Bill Filber

June 29, 2014 - 8:11pm

As a Veteran and a citizen of the United States I strongly believe in our American Constitution and the laws of our land, it is sad and worrisome that presently the President of the United States does not. God Bless the Constitution, and the Nation of Israel.

Ross Johannes

June 26, 2014 - 6:40pm

I mention that VFW is proposing a boycott of mexico and you send me a link to complain to the white house??? YOU, Legion representatives get off your asses and YOU complain to the white house. That's disgusting.

John P. McKenzie, Cosby, TN

June 19, 2014 - 3:01am

Are you getting a sense of WHY all of oboma's college papers, courses, writing are SEALED? Might you now vaguely perceive his birth in Keyna in a hut? Do you worry just a little about a future president using multiple SS Numbers. Did he DO GOOD in your reconning in Benghazi? Would you buy a car from him? Trust him in a bar fight? What do you NOW think of the 1,000s of voter fraud cases in Illinois? The armed black panther at the polling stations? The IRS houndinh conservatives? His "czars"? I say he is going to have to be "pried" out of the WH when his time is up! AND WE COULD HAVE HAD ROMNEY .... BUT N-O-O-O-O-O-O, You know-everything (and mainly draft-dodging liberals put him back where he can steal your (and my) retirement. John P. McKenzie, Cosby, TN

Donna Fransen-Miller

June 13, 2014 - 3:46pm

It is disgusting that this young man is still behind bars in Mexico. Perhaps it is time we keep all our money here at home and close the borders. Time to take back what is ours. Proud USAF Veteran

John P. McKenzie, Cosby, TN

June 13, 2014 - 1:29am

I believe that this is a great time and place to plainly state that barack oboma is a completely incompetent horrible failure without respect to equal opportunity and/or affirmative action. This man NEVER had the legal nor mental qualifications to be entrusted with the position of commander in chief. In my mind he is directly responsible for the Benghazi disgrace, the I.R.S. scandal, the five animals returned to their hunting grounds, the rapidly expanding IRAC debacle happening right now, He is a sow's ear to say the least. He has EARNED IMPEACHMENT SEVERAL MONTHS AGO. And did I tell you he IS AN African muslim. John P. McKenzie, Cosby, TN

John P. McKenzie, Cosby, TN

June 13, 2014 - 1:20am

I say we offer the Mexican barack oboma, michelle oboma, joe biden, all the democrats in the Senate and House and a "hole" bunch of liberal assholes straight up for the jar-head. John P. McKenzie, Cosby, TN

Forget it

June 13, 2014 - 10:19am

Amen, Amen I say to you!

Samuel Brookins

June 12, 2014 - 10:55pm

I say we take the Seal Team fromCoronado and go get him.

Maynard Sorensen

June 12, 2014 - 7:58pm

In todays Mexico, guns across the border by ordinary US Citizens (or soldiers)can be a real source of trouble. Our Marine fell right into the trap...Mexican Law can be very harsh. Local judges have the power to put violators away for a long time. Be careful in traveling to Mexico and plan carefully when it comes to illegal stuff. Fifty years ago we took guns into Mexico to hunt, all we needed was a permit from a Mexican Game Warden and pay them a few bucks to get it. Not Now.

miguel gonzalez

June 12, 2014 - 7:11pm

Please do something for this soldier.

Mark Scully

June 12, 2014 - 6:26pm

Both President Obama and Defense Secretary Hagel have described Army Sgt. Bergdahl as a Prisoner of War and U.S. officials took appropriate and courageous action to free the American POW. In view of the fact that the United States is not currently at war with Mexico, I fail to see any comparison between the respective situations of Sgt. Bergdahl and Marine Sgt. Tahmooressi.

Jim Torpey

June 12, 2014 - 5:37pm

OBAMA, get off your ass & get this Sergeant released!! What the hell are you waiting for!!?? WHY have you not done so already??

Bob Bennett

June 12, 2014 - 5:34pm

Make a trade. Give them five illegal immigrants for the Marine. Ha is worth more.

Bill Mager

June 12, 2014 - 8:24pm

Better yet, send back 10000 illegals and cut all aid immediately until this is done.

Howard and Elizabeth Boise

June 12, 2014 - 4:52pm

Since you traded 5 Taliban for Bowe, you need to get this Marine released.

Vinnie Lobello

June 12, 2014 - 2:58pm

no one get's left behind (no one)