Please consider a PUFL membership

Please consider a PUFL membership

Dear Legion Family Members and Friends,

By now you are familiar with the vast benefits of being a member of The American Legion. Today, I am not reminding you about the importance and value of membership. You already know that. Instead, I am here to encourage you to consider joining the Paid Up For Life program so you will always be a proud Legionnaire, along with me and the other 200,000 members who are paid up for life.

Why join the Paid Up For Life program?

First off, once you do, you will no longer receive annual renewal notices or be subject to any possible future dues increases. You will also receive a lifetime subscription to The American Legion Magazine.

To join the program, just head to the online enrollment page. From there you can enroll in the program and pay in full or select 12 monthly installments. Once you identify yourself using your member ID number you will be shown your personalized Paid Up For Life offer and can see why PUFL is an affordable choice. You will also be able to print out a copy of your offer to mail in if you prefer.

Each PUFL member receives a permanent plastic card, as well as an annual paper card to verify continuing membership in The American Legion. The annual card is mailed in July of each year.

Thank you for considering joining the Paid Up For Life program. If you have questions, please contact customer service at 800-433-3318.

For God and Country,

More in Membership and Post Activities

Mike Batura

July 26, 2014 - 1:00am

Just received a mailing that offered the PUFL option, supposedly with a $100 discount. I've been in the Legion for 31 years and wouldn't mind being PUFL, but it's just ridiculously expensive. Tried to find the cost structure on the website, but it is apparently hidden from the members. WTFO? The legion does some good things, but so do other veterans' organizations, and they are apparently more in touch with their membership. I'm retired military and the stupidity of the people at Legion HQ reminds me of the incompetent military REMFs who don't have a clue, who get people killed, and just generally piss us ops guys off. I noticed the Jan 22, 2014 HQ response to these postings, and the idiot only reinforced my negative impression. This leads me to wonder how the Legion is spending our money and to seriously question the qualifications and effectiveness - not to mention the integrity - of the Legion leadership. The Legion has a proud history, but what really counts is what they are doing NOW. I'm wondering if perhaps it's time to go to the VFW and tell the Legion what to do with the rope.

Bob Summers

July 25, 2014 - 1:34pm

I just received my life member information packet today requesting I consider a Life Membership at a cost of $640.00. As a Life Member of the Marine Corps League and VFW I cannot imagine such a request especially when I'm fast approaching 68 years of age. It is no wonder membership continues to decline. National had better realize this as well as their reach has exceeded their grasp. I cannot imagine anyone paying $640.00 for a life membership. You are so far out of step in todays economy that its ridiculous. Thank you

Joseph Murphy

July 24, 2014 - 2:08pm

I am 78 years old and pay a raised fee of $40 a year for membership. Today the Legion wants from me $550 for a "life time" membership which they offer to discount by $100. That's $450. Imagine incompetence and perhaps even gross greed of the American Legion Actuaries. Before that could become a real bargain I'll be a 100 years old or more. Go figure!

Jerry D. Davis

July 2, 2014 - 7:50pm

I am a life member of VFW & DAV. I am commander of a legion post. I will never be a legion life member until someone gets they're head out of their(sand) What it costs is uncalled for. I'm a 10 year member so far and I'll continue to pay yearly.

Herbert L Hamblen sr

July 2, 2014 - 11:06am

Thank you for your offer of a life membership.I can see now why you cannot reveal the cost of such.I have been a member for a number of years But after reading these previous comments of the cost of a life membership i must decline.I ask who in the organization has lost touch with reality? DO the math, its a ripoff I do my share of donations and handouts but this is pretty close to a scam.please take another look at at your plan.respect fully Herb Hamblen sr.

Amy Hussar

June 15, 2014 - 1:11am

Considering I'm 36 and my husband is 35, the PUFL was a great move for us. We plan to live much longer than the "break-even point," and we're 99% certain that dues will increase several times before we reach that age - especially since the Department of CA just raised per capita by $5 and our post voted to raise dues from $30 to $40 this year. As both of us receive VA disability compensation, we can't even really attach a price to the fact that someone is out there standing up for us when no one else will. To us, the Legion isn't really about the social nights or the activities, although that can be important too. It certainly isn't about a magazine or travel discounts, because my generation can't afford to travel - we're too busy working and raising children (who, incidentally, are often excluded from many Legion events for being "under 21"). For us, lifetime membership is about ensuring that Congress doesn't screw us over while retaining their own benefits. However, we have many older veterans in our post who were initially interested in PUFL, but shied away because of the cost. As the post commander, I reminded them that they were under no obligation to pay up for life, and that it may not be in their best interest - they just need to do their homework and make the best choice for their situation. They seemed to feel a lot better after that.

Paul E. Zesewitz

June 2, 2014 - 1:02pm

I went Paid-Up-For-Life about a year after first joining the Legion. Back then, it was in fact much cheaper than it is now. Regardless, I no longer have to be frustrated over dues going up, nor will I be badgered by Department or National to pay said dues after they have gone up. I urge all potential members to look into going PUFL, you will find it to be cheaper when all is said and done.

Robert E. Whitmer

March 26, 2014 - 12:24pm

Like so many others, the cost is not a benefit or incentive to become one. I am a Post commander and enjoy being an active member in the Legion and Legion Riders as well as my family being involved. The cost even making payments at this time for many is not going to happen and in fact chase folks away... WE NEED HELP to keep what we have and bring in new, This program is not going to do it ! I think you are missing the big picture of just how much is given in donations to our programs by members and non-members.. You chase them away... no winners.. The benefits currently offered are the same you can get just being a Veteran... and in some cases even better !!! Just the truth.. Take a look at all the "NEW" Veteran based organizations popping up, ask yourself why... Those are folks we could have as members !

Gene Bustos

March 14, 2014 - 4:39pm

I belong to other veteran organization as a life member! Your PUFL program is out of line with the others. I have asked the legion top officers why it is so expensive and they admit it is GREED! Great for the organization but not for the veteran who the organization would not exist without them! Stop sending me your annual recruitment forms every year. I can live with the other true veteran organizations that i belong to, that think of the hard fighting veteran. The American Legion has it priorities all wrong!

Mark Atterson

March 7, 2014 - 5:33pm

Just received a 'Nomination For Lifetime Membership' in the mail today. Wow! Sounds pretty attractive with all the 'freebies.' So, let me get this straight; even with $50.00 off I would enjoy and my previous membership payment NOT counting, you want me to pay a one-time fee of $885.00!!! Now, I have been a Legion member since 1992, but let's forget all that...I have a number of Lifetime memberships, to include the VFW. I don't think I have "STUPID" written across my forehead folks! Oh, and by the way, you're thanking me for my service is profoundly RIDICULOUS!!!!!!

Karl D. Kayser

March 7, 2014 - 5:29pm

I paid $375.00 to be a life member of the VFW. I can pay 400.00 to be a Life Member of FRA, and am considering it. And while, if I pay in installments of 77.00/mo, it is triple of what I paid for my VFW membership and 200.00 more than joining both the FRA & the VFW,I am still considering a PUFL membership. The reason is I believe in the mission, programs and work of the Legion. I would like to see more transparency in how exactly my PUFL dues will be used to further the misson with my never having to pay dues to the Legion again, like the VFW does with their Bronze Silver or Gold Legacy Life memberships. Perhaps an additional benefit or two may increase the perceved value.

John L. Stone

February 28, 2014 - 7:16pm

Served in the USAF for four years. entered in the Sixty when draft was in effect. For many years after I served never heard from any Vet. group. By chance I learned I could join The American Legion. Have been a member for four years. Do not go to the hall much too much smoke and dranking plus the one close to me is not family friendly and would allow families to join. Want to keep the wife out or in the aux. The PUFL program would be good if the price was right. I would have to be a member till I was ninty to break even. Wake up and adjust the dues down. the Legion need to be more active with the younger Vet. They do not like smoke drank or old men dressed as motor cycle gangs.

Kevin Tontala

March 8, 2014 - 5:00pm

Mr. Stone: "old men dressed as motor cycle (motorcycle) gangs" is wrong on your side of view. We are American Legion Riders (ALR) and we are family orientated riders that do a lot of charity work. You need crawl out that rock that you live in and maybe talk to those (gangs) ALR and you might find out that they are great bunch of people. I ask of you to look at programs on this web site read about the ALR and you would find out that we are NOT "gangs" but a recognized program of The American Legion Kevin J Tontala ALR - Director Wheatfield, NY Post #1451 Greater Niagara Chapter

BillK62

July 12, 2014 - 12:40pm

Nice clarification , Kevin. You really can't judge a book by the cover.

Robert Wieters, Sr.

February 27, 2014 - 8:21pm

You have got to be kidding me! I'm a Vietnam Veteran and presently Life Member of Amvets, Disabled American Veteran and Veterans of Foreign Wars. I am also 69 years of age and you telling me my PUFL is $640.00! Good luck with that, it is entirely too HIGH!!!! Get serious, are you really telling me you think that fee is fair and acceptable? I think I'll just save my hard earned disabled dollars to spend on things that our ass of a President will make rise in $$$, kinda like your Life Membership!

Jim Conroy

February 24, 2014 - 8:49am

I'd like to push the PUFL program as a way to retain members, but the price is still too high. I'd have to live to be 89 years old to break even. You need to revise the program to make it more financially attractive.

backusjm

February 7, 2014 - 8:36am

I just became a PUFL member. It did cost a lot and I can see why members have an issue with it. Vets are at war with Washington right now. Its a shame but we are.I figure these organizations need all the help they can get to fight for us, I worry every month that I may not get my check or be able to make my payments because some suit in Washington decided I get too much money for my service. Use my money to fight on!

Galen Miller

January 27, 2014 - 9:53pm

I also believe it is too much. The paid up for life offer I just recieved from the NRA is only $500. Why make PUFL for The American Legion so much more? I am a proud Viet Nam era vet, but feel we deserve a better deal than this program. Sorry.

Gordon Babcock

June 22, 2014 - 12:32pm

Wholeheartedly agree!

Robert h Wieters

February 27, 2014 - 8:24pm

I hold hardedly agree with you! Way, way too much!!!!

Dave Bowden

January 26, 2014 - 5:25pm

I just checked and age 59 it would cost me $835.00 and I would have to live to be 87 years old to break even. Get real. You need to take a really hard look at this program because the American Legion is WAY out of line with what other VSOs are asking for life memberships.

wdcrumes55

January 24, 2014 - 9:33am

I can't squeeze enough numbers to make me believe PUFL is a good deal. I am a life member in the VFW and AM vets, I'll stay an annual member, maybe. Just not worth it!

Confused

January 24, 2014 - 1:52am

Gentlemen, When are you going to share the details of this program? All I have been able to find are vague promises about how it is different and wonderful. But it seems that only individual members can access any calculations. Until these details are shared, Posts will not be able to recommend the program to members. All the Posts will be able to base their perceptions on is the previous program which was a disaster! Here is the bottom line. No Legionnaire in my area would sign up for the previous PUFL program. Most were insulted by it. And my Post lost several perspective members because of it. And now the Posts don't even know how the new program is structured! Quit playing "I've got a secret" and provide all the program details. And if this program isn't significantly better than its predecessor, do not expect any Post to promote it.

Thor Sparre

January 24, 2014 - 12:30am

I am a life member of the VFW and a Past Commander of our Legion Post but it doesn't make economic sense for me to pay the charges for a Legion PUFL.

Legionnaire Flores

January 23, 2014 - 11:58am

I paid for lifetime membership into the DAV and VFW for me as well as for my wife to be in the auxiliaries. All of that combined is still HALF of what the PUFL cost would be just for me. Unless the Legion gets the rates to a reasonable amount, I'll just pay annually, thank you.

American Legion Headquarters

January 22, 2014 - 12:03pm

Everyone, thank you for taking the time to write about our renewed Paid Up For Life program. We value your membership and hope that you will still consider becoming a Paid Up For Life member of the largest veterans service organization. We understand there may be confusion about the program. If you have questions, please contact customer service at 800-433-3318.

Richard Brooks

January 22, 2014 - 9:14am

I dont normally disagree with the National organization on issues. The PUFL issue is one that I do have a problem with. I thought we were going to change this, I just figured out that a member at age 85 in my Post would have to pay $375.84 for a PUFL. That means he would have to live to be almost 98 to realize a savings for being a PUFL. I am a PUFL but got mine before the new rate structure went into effect and I encouraged members to become a PUFL but I cannot encourage anyone anymore besides when they do the math that usually ends any chance of them purchasing one.

legion member

January 21, 2014 - 5:44pm

people cannot afford life membership in the legion. DAV and VFW are much more affordable and practical rates. when will the legion learn? there should be a reduced cost and benefit to life membership. I would have to be a member for the next 40 years at $35/yr to break even.

Clayton Scott

January 21, 2014 - 7:14am

I love the American Legion and have dedicated much of my time and effort to the Post/district and department, but I will continue to pay my yearly dues. this PUFL thing has gotten out of hand. Amvets is currently 250 for life time membership. Dav, when I joined about 4 years about two years ago was only $195.00 I am a member of all but spend most of my time with the American Legion. I calculated out the Pufl costs, at my age of 65 and at at post tat charges 30 per year, I would be required to pay $663.12 with in the next 3 years. If I divide that figure by the $30 that i would normally pay each year, I find that i must live to be 87 years old before, I would break even. While the life expectancy is continuing to increase, or so they say, I do not see myself making it to the ripe old age of 87, but for the sake of an argument lets just say that I did. By the time i reach 87, I will no longer be interested in even going to the post as I will be spending most of my life figuring out when I am going to die. So good look American Legion with your revised Pufl schedule. you will not so those funds from me as they just do not justify the expense.

Joshua Law

January 20, 2014 - 11:05pm

After having seen the American Legion advertise their "Paid Up For Life Program", I decided to look into. I was shocked to find out that I would have to pay $1,399. Therefore I decided to do some financial calculations/modeling and wrote "Why You Shouldn’t Join the American Legion Paid Up For Life Program" after finishing my calculations. Take a read and share, so that you have tools with which to make a large purchase decision.

Eagle9

January 20, 2014 - 3:39pm

I am a member of VFW and now a life member of The American Legion. Thank you American Legion for all you do for veterans and their families. Proud to be a member.

Ronney D. Bower

January 20, 2014 - 10:36am

You people can take your membership and shove it, I paid 300.00 for my VFW life time membership, and you people want 835.00 along with being a 16 years of membership. I do not think so.