The 2010 Legacy Run will leave Indianapolis on Aug. 22 and make stops in Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Minnesota and Wisconsin before winding up in Milwaukee for the 92nd American Legion National Convention. Money raised during the run benefits The American Legion Legacy Scholarship fund, which provides college scholarships to the children of U.S. servicemembers killed on active duty on or after Sept. 11, 2001.
The tentative route is:
- Aug. 22 - Depart American Legion Post 64 in Indianapolis, travel Interstate 70 West to Concordia, Mo.; 430 total miles.
- Aug. 23 - Depart Concordia, travel I-35 North to Bethany, Mo.; 175 total miles.
- Aug. 24 - Depart Bethany, travel I-35 North to Albert Lea, Minn.; 275 total miles.
- Aug. 25 - Depart Albert Lea, travel interstates 35 North, 94 East, WI 29 East, and 39 South to Stevens Point, Wis.; 300 total miles.
- Aug. 26 - Depart Stevens Point, travel interstates 39 South and 94 East to Milwaukee; 175 total miles.
Those wanting to participate in the 2010 Legacy Run are reminded that online registration is ongoing. The registration fee is $50 for riders ($60 after Aug. 1) and $25 for passengers ($50 after Aug. 1). The fee for supporters is $50. The registration form for the 2010 run can be found here.
A donation goal of $450,000 has been set for the run. Already, the four Legacy Runs have combined to raise well over $1 million for the Legacy fund.