The American Legion recently examined veterans’ provider preferences in care received through the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) through a national mixed methodology survey utilizing live phone calls and SMS messages.
• 91% of veterans expect the same quality of care as top-rated non-VA hospitals
• Veterans with burn pit exposure are 30% more likely to enroll in VA Healthcare
• 3 in 5 veterans suffer from multiple health issues – Only 4% would choose a nurse to provide primary care
• Only 6% of veterans enrolled in VA healthcare would NOT recommend to fellow veteran
• Veterans overwhelmingly prefer physician administered anesthesia to nurse administered anesthetist (61% to 5%)
• 52% of veterans would seek care outside the VA if only given nurse anesthetist option
• 71% of veterans believe VA standard of care would change if nurse anesthetists replace physician anesthesiologists
ANALYSIS OF VA CARE PREFERENCES
Q: Are you enrolled in VA healthcare?
Q: Would you recommend VA to another veteran
Q: Do you have multiple medical conditions or health issues?
Q: Would you prefer to have a physician or nurse administer anesthesia during surgery?