Shop Online at Emblem Sales
Google +LinkedInPinterestYouTubeInstagramTwitterFacebook

Form 990N deadline approaches

Posts that don’t file IRS forms face losing tax-exempt status

Form 990N deadline approaches

Hundreds of small American Legion posts and American Legion Auxiliary units stand to lose their tax-exempt status if they have not filed Form 990N with the Internal Revenue Service by Oct. 15, 2010, or have not filed any other 990s for three consecutive years, regardless of their annual revenues and expenses.

A listing of American Legion entities at risk of losing tax-exempt status as of June 30, 2010, was posted by the IRS on the Web.

The filing requirement, previously unnecessary for entities with $25,000 or less in annual revenue, is imposed as part of the Pension Protection Act of 2006.

Those entities that have not filed a 990 for a number of years may find that their Employer Identification Numbers (EIN) have been removed from the IRS system. In that case, according to American Legion National Judge Advocate Philip B. Onderdonk, posts are strongly urged to file a form SS-4 and apply for a reinstatement or new number.

Once the new number is obtained, a post will need to report it immediately to their department headquarters and copy the Internal Affairs Division at National Headquarters so paperwork can be updated. All information must be in by Sept. 28 in order to assure it will be included in the report.

Posts with valid EINs but did not yet file Form 990N are urged to do so immediately, “or they’re going to lose their tax-exempt status,” Onderdonk said. “The real problem is for posts that accept donations. Tax-exempt status is necessary for tax-deductible contributions.”

Posts that lose their tax-exempt status can appeal to the Department of Treasury with a letter of justification for not obeying the law. The secretary of the Treasury has discretion to grant tax-exempt status.

More in Membership & Post Activities


Wayne Harris.

April 11, 2012 - 10:03am

How do get a hard copy of our 501 3c ?Or who could I call for assistance?

Karen Meier

October 6, 2010 - 7:30pm

I tried to submit a 990N for our Auxiliary and discovered we do not have a number on record. How do I go about getting a number. Where do I find a phone number to call for assistance.


September 24, 2010 - 5:38am

I summited the form online, how do I know it was completed and my post still has tax exempt status, is there a web site? David Williams Adjutant Post 337 Pineville, NC

Auxiliary Unit 255

September 22, 2010 - 8:07pm

Can please tell me how to get the EIN number for the Auxiliary Unit 255 in National City, CA 35 E 18th Street National City, CA 91950. Please email me at

Add new comment

By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.

Tell us what you think