The American Legion Magazine uses a PDF workflow for production of our magazine. We require advertisers who wish to create their own PDF's for our use to adhere to a series of specifications to achieve good results.
We assume that you are creating your ad using QuarkXpress or Adobe InDesign for Macintosh, as well as Adobe Acrobat 6 or higher. In creation of your design file, please observe the following:
- Make sure the trim size of your design layout is 7 3/4" x 10 1/2". Live matter must not exceed 7 x 10.
- Where necessary add a 1/8" bleed on all bleed edges.
3. Please use Macintosh Type 1 fonts whenever possible. We also recommend OpenType fonts. Avoid TrueType fonts.
- Eliminate all spot colors from your design file, including PMS colors. Specify all colors as CMYK - not as spot or process matches. Also eliminate all unused colors.
- Be sure to convert all color images from RGB to CMYK. Make sure all grayscale images are truly grayscale, and not CMYK or RGB. All images should be imported into your design file with at least a resolution of 266 dpi at 100%. Please realize that if you enlarge an image in your design software, the effective resolution will drop - which means you need to create higher resolution images to compensate.
Below you will find a downloadable file, compressed using Stuffit. Once you download it, it should uncompress automatically. You will find the following items in this file:
- A file named READ ME FIRST. This will also tell you where to store the Distiller Settings file.
- An Adobe Acrobat Distiller settings file.
- A Prinergy Refiner printer description.
- An Indesign Printer Preset file.
- A text file describing how to create a virtual printer for Prinergy.
- Two text files describing how to create a Prinergy preset in either InDesign or QuarkXpress.
Please read these directions over carefully. Please feel free to contact us to insure that your PDF fully meets our requirements.
Diane Andretti, Advertising Director
Anthony Heath, Production Director