American Legion posts have an opportunity each month to promote the organization’s Be the One initiative that aims to reduce the number of veteran suicides. Resolution 13, approved by the National Executive Committee in May, establishes Be the One Days on the first of every month.
Whether your post is planning something in conjunction with a Be the One Day, an event during Suicide Awareness Prevention Month in September or around Veterans Day, there are helpful resources available from National Headquarters. They can be downloaded at the Be the One web page (betheone.org).
Among the resources:
• Brochures: One trifold is a PDF that can be used to educate agencies with mental health services, community partners, local government leaders and others about Be the One. The other is a Word document that can be downloaded and customized for posts to use at suicide awareness events. The entire back page of this trifold is intentionally left blank (other than directions, which can be deleted) so that posts can fill it with local resources.
• Physical displays: Need a Be the One banner stand or flag for your event? There are print-ready files available for a 3x5 Be the One flag and 2x6 banner stand. These can be transmitted to a local or online vendor for printing.
• Sample press release: Download and customize this to communicate to your local media about your event.
• Videos: A Vimeo playlist includes videos that can be downloaded and played while offline. They can be shared on social media, posted to the web and played at post events. There also is a link to our YouTube video playlist featuring content related to Be the One.
• Wallet cards: There are several options for Be the One themed business cards that include QR codes. They can be used as single-sided cards, combined for double-sided cards, or added to the back side of a personal business card.