Four district commanders earn trip to 104th national convention
Four American Legion district commanders will be honored on stage during the 2023 National Convention in Charlotte, N.C., for winning their respective categories in the Race to the Top competition.
Race to the Top competition is divided into five categories based on the membership of the district without regard to geographic locations. The top district commander in each category whose district membership on March 31 represents the greatest percentage over the final previous year’s membership will be named a Race to the Top winner.
The four winners, along with a guest, receive an all-expense paid trip to Charlotte for the 104th National Convention as a distinguished guest of National Commander Vincent J. "Jim" Troiola. The trip includes round-trip airfare, tickets to the National Commander’s Banquet, and hotel accommodations for six days and five nights. The winning district commanders also will receive a Legion cap that signifies they are Race to the Top winners, and awarded on stage at the national convention with ribbons for each of the district’s posts.
The 2023 Race to the Top winners are:
- Category I Districts of 15 to 1,499 members: Hector Rodriquez, Department of Puerto Rico, District 2
- Category II Districts of 1,500 to 2,999 members: Casey R. Nash, Department of Georgia, District 1
- Category III Districts of 3,000 to 4,999 members: Joyce A. Hannum, Department of Ohio, District 9
- Category IV Districts of 5,000 to 7,499 members: Billy Hill, Department of Maryland, District 6
- Category V Districts of 7,500 and more members: No submissions
Second place receives a $500 check. One category winner:
- Category I Districts of 15 to 1,499 members: Wanda Bernard, Department of Puerto Rico, District 7
Third place receives a $375 check. One category winner:
- Category I Districts of 15 to 1,499 members: Rene A. Berlingeri, Department of Puerto Rico, District 8