I was discharged from the Marines on Jan. 24, 1999. What can I do to extend the 10-year limit on my Montgomery GI Bill benefit?

The 10-year limit was set when Congress passed the Montgomery GI Bill in 1984. The Department of Veterans Affairs has indicated that if you have some mitigating circumstances, such as a medical illness that did not allow you to attend college for a long period, or some other serious reason you could not use your GI Bill, you may request an extension.

If you would like to file for an extension, type a very detailed letter explaining your situation and include all supporting documentation. Send the package to your nearest VA Regional Processing Center. To find one near you, visit www.gibill.va.gov on the Web.