The vision for what gatherings of people will look like in June is still unknown as the COVID-19 pandemic continues to affect communities nationwide. On June 14, Flag Day, American Legion posts often hold a proper flag retirement ceremony or participate in community celebrations.
As Flag Day approaches, The American Legion National Headquarters has resources available for posts and members to use.
- Download the Flag Day speech for 2020 here.
- Visit www.legion.org/flag for flag FAQs, myths, flag-folding procedures and videos, and more.
- Sign up for the Flag Alert e-newsletter at www.legion.org/newsletters that provides notification when the U.S. flag is to be displayed at half-staff.
- Purchase the "Let's Be Right on Flag Etiquette" for $1 apiece through Emblem Sales. The 32-page booklet outlines the Flag Code, features visuals on how to properly display and fold the flag, highlights the Top 10 flag myths, answers frequently asked questions and much more.
- Download for free the "Let the People Decide" brochure that highlights The American Legion's position on flag desecration. The American Legion has been leading the fight to protect Old Glory since a 5-4 U.S. Supreme Court decision in 1989 defined flag desecration as protected speech.
And a 7 p.m. EDT on June 14 is the annual Pause for the Pledge.