Updating Medicare and Social Security when you move

Updating Medicare and Social Security when you move


I am moving to a different state to be near my family. Do I need to notify Social Security and Medicare about the move?

If you are a Social Security and Medicare recipient, you need to notify these federal agencies when and where you move so there are no interruptions in your benefits or coverage. Here is what you should know.

Update Your Information If you are receiving Social Security retirement, survivors or disability benefits, you should notify the Social Security Administration (SSA) when you move to avoid disruptions of payments and continue to receive timely information.

You will need to provide the agency with your new mailing address so it can deliver important documents to you, like your annual SSA-1099 tax form. If you are switching banks or credit unions, you must update your direct deposit information by providing your new financial institution's routing and account numbers.

If you are a Medicare beneficiary, Medicare also needs your new mailing address in order to send bills, correspondence, Medicare Summary Notices and other statements to the correct address.

You may update both your Social Security and Medicare contact information online by using the "My Profile" tab in your personal "my Social Security" account at SSA.gov/myaccount. If you do not have an account, you can create one for free. You can also update or change your direct deposit information on this account.

If you need help or do not have internet access, call the SSA at 800-772-1213, or visit your local Social Security office.

Medicare Private Plans If you are enrolled in original Medicare, you can move to anywhere within the United States without losing coverage. If, however, you have Part D prescription drug coverage or a Medicare Advantage plan from a private health-insurance company and you move out of the plan's service area, you need to switch plans or risk losing coverage. Part D service areas are typically statewide, but some extend to parts of neighboring states. Medicare Advantage plans' service areas and options vary by county.

Moving out of a plan's service area qualifies you for a special enrollment period (SEP), which affords at least two months to obtain a new plan. You may also qualify for a SEP if you move within your plan's service area and the plan offers different options from what you had in your previous area. The enrollment timing depends on when you notify the plan provider.

If you notify your provider before you move, your opportunity to switch plans begins the month before your move and continues for two months after. If you notify your plan provider after your move, your chance to switch plans begins the month you informed your provider plus two more months.

To shop for new Part D and Medicare Advantage plans in your new area, use the Medicare Plan Finder tool at Medicare.gov/plan-compare. You can also switch Part D or Medicare Advantage plans during open enrollment, which runs each year from Oct. 15 to Dec. 7 for coverage starting Jan. 1.

Medigap Plans If you are enrolled in original Medicare and have a Medigap supplemental policy, you usually do not have to switch plans if you move. It is recommended, however, that you notify your provider. Some insurers let you keep the rate based on the state where you originally applied for Medigap; others may change your premiums to coincide with their coverage in a different zip code. Massachusetts, Wisconsin and Minnesota have different standardized plans. If you are moving to or from one of these states, you may have to switch plans.

“Savvy Living” is written by Jim Miller, a regular contributor to NBC’s “Today Show.” The column, and others like it, is available to read via The American Legion’s Planned Giving program, a way of establishing your legacy of support for the organization while providing for your current financial needs. Learn more about the process, and the variety of charitable programs you can benefit, at legion.org/plannedgiving. Consider naming The American Legion in your will or trust as a part of your personal legacy. Clicking on “Learn more” will bring up an “E-newsletter” button, where you can sign up for regular information from Planned Giving.