The Samsung American Legion Scholarship online application process is now open. Use the link at the bottom of this page. Please read through the requirements of this page before applying.
Worldwide electronics leader Samsung endowed a scholarship fund of $5 million to be administered by The American Legion in 1996. Meant to show appreciation for U.S. veterans who came to Korea's aid during its struggle against communist forces in the Korean War, the Samsung American Legion Scholarship Program established a series of scholarships derived from interest and other income from the principal amount. As of 2019 the Samsung American Legion Scholarship has awarded more than $6.5 million in college scholarships to 2,266 applicants since its inception in 1996.
Applicants need to ensure that they review the required documents and provide what is asked for in the instructions as they have changed from previous years. Specifically, the requirement to submit a standardized weighted GPA and supporting documentation as shown here.
Scholarship applicants must complete and submit their online application prior to 11:59 (local time) of Day 1 of their respective American Legion Boys State or American Legion Auxiliary Girls State program. All applications must be submitted using the online application system and may not be modified after the due date or given a deadline extension under any circumstance.
Participants should check their individual program coordinator as to whether or not the coordinator desires them to bring a hard copy of their submitted application materials. If a hard copy is required, participants will need to complete their application PRIOR to arrival at their respective program.
Samsung scholarships may be used for undergraduate studies and applied toward tuition, books, fees, and room and board. Winners are selected according to academic record, involvement in school and community service.
- Ten National Scholars receive $10,000 each (two from each region)
- Ten National Runners-Up receive $5,000 each (two from each region)
- Remaining Department Finalists receive $1,250 each guaranteed
Scholarship applications are limited to students between their junior and senior years of high school who attend the current session of either an American Legion Boys State or American Legion Auxiliary Girls State program and are a direct descendant - i.e. child, grandchild, great grandchild, etc. - or a legally adopted child of a wartime U.S. military veteran who served on active duty during at least one of the periods of war officially designated as eligibility dates for American Legion membership.
Applicants who are direct descendants of Korean War Era Veterans will receive three bonus points.
Applicants who upload a copy of a current membership to the American Legion Auxiliary or Sons of The American Legion will receive a bonus point or may receive a bonus point by uploading a current membership card of a parent in The American Legion, American Legion Auxiliary or Sons of The American Legion. No more than one bonus point for Legion Family membership will be awarded per application.
Proof of Service Documentation
- Form DD214 (Official discharge certificate)
- Official “Honorable Discharge” certificate
- Form DD1300 (Official military death certificate)
- Official record of burial in a military cemetery issued by the National Cemetery Administration of the Department of Veterans Affairs
- Current or former military ID card
- Current or former LES (Leave and Earnings Statement)
- Official logbook entries from a military unit
- ANY OTHER DOCUMENT LISTED ON THE “Military Service Verification Documents List” (Linked below)
- Any otherwise “acceptable” document that is illegible
- Pictures of military headstones
- Pictures of service members in uniform
- Entries in non-military and/or non-official records or books
- Membership cards from veterans organizations
- VA Healthcare Cards
For more information
- Scholarship Resources
- Boys State Contacts and Websites
- Girls State Contacts and Websites
- FAQ - Samsung American Legion Application
- Military Service Verification Documents List
- 2020 Samsung American Legion Scholarship Annual Report
The following locations may be of assistance.
- Many certificates of discharge prior to 1979 do not appear to be "official" documents as many were typed onto a sheet of paper. If you are unsure if it is an official document, please ask your American Legion service officer. Department Service Officers are listed by state at https://www.legion.org/serviceofficers.
- The National Archives and Records Administration: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/index.html
- The County Clerk and Recorders Office where the veteran resided.
- The funeral home may have kept a copy if military honors were provided.
- Monument company if VA headstone or marker was ordered.
- If the veteran had utilized a VA Home Loan there may be a copy of the DD214 with the title documentation.
- Veterans who have signed up for EBENEFITS through the Veterans Administration may be able to obtain a printable copy from https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits-portal/ebenefits.portal
- The State Director of Veterans Affairs may have received a copy of the veterans DD214 at the time of discharge from military service. This will be specific to the state in which the veterans home of record.