Retired Air Force Master Sgt. and fitness proponent Rob Wilkins is this week’s special guest on The American Legion Tango Alpha Lima podcast. Wilkins, who was named to the President’s Council on Sports, Fitness and Nutrition in 2018, leads off a four-part series on fitness and wellness.
On the podcast, Wilkins discusses the importance of healthy living as we age, what he calls National Military Fitness & Wellness Month, which is November, and the importance for all veterans to remain active.
He recommends all adults getting 150 minutes of exercise weekly.
“You have to invest in your health,” said Wilkins, a lifetime American Legion member. “Often I hear people say they don’t have time to go to the gym. You don’t have to go to the gym. You could go for a walk.”
Wilkins also recommended:
• Doing exercise “snacks.” For example, while watching television, do push-ups, walk in place or knock out some jumping jacks.
• Investing in your health. “A healthy person lives a longer lifespan, is more able to share it with their grandchildren and friends, and be able to share their wisdom.”
• Taking the lead. As a 100 Miles for Hope ambassador and among members of the Legion’s wellness advisors, Wilkins encouraged involving others. “Take a friend. Why should you have all the fun? Take somebody with you to encourage them to be healthier.”
The other three episodes in the fitness and wellness series feature:
• Nov. 29, Dr. Dan Bornstein, the founding director of the Center for Performance, Readiness, Resiliency and Recovery at The Citadel. He addresses the importance of physical activity as we age, specifically for veterans, and strategies to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
• Dec. 6, Jennifer Campbell, an American Legion member, Army veteran and fitness instructor. She offers tips on how to enjoy the holidays while remaining active and burning off calories.
• Dec. 13, Dr. Trina Clayeux, who is married to a retired Air Force veteran. She launched her nonprofit organization, Give an Hour, in 2005. Give an Hour addresses the mental health needs of post-9/11 veterans by pairing them with counselors at no cost.
Check out this week’s podcast and the more than 150 Tango Alpha Lima episodes available in both audio and video formats here. You can also download episodes on iTunes, Google Play or other major podcast-hosting sites. The video version is available at the Legion’s YouTube channel.