Accredited American Legion service officers are specially trained to provide expert assistance, free of charge, to veterans and their families. While the majority of a service officer’s work involves application for VA disability benefits, these compassionate professionals also provide information, referrals and resources on education, employment and business, death benefits and other important topics.
Documents that may help support a VA disability claim
If possible, have the following ready when you make your call:
- DD Form 214 (Issued at separation) ***
- Service medical records (outpatient), dental records, entrance and separation examination reports
- Inpatient hospitalization records (private or military)
- Private outpatient medical records (if applicable)
- Personnel file
- Line of Duty (LOD) investigation reports
- Overseas or temporary duty (travel) orders
Separating personnel should ensure that all of the information (including awards, overseas time, campaigns, RE code, etc.) on the DD 214 is correct before signing. Uncorrected errors may cause problems in the future when applying for VA and other benefits.