One of the more difficult tasks a survivor faces after the death of a veteran is completing the numerous claims forms for VA survivors' benefits. The anxiety and fear of the unknown - who to call, what to do, or where to go for help - can be an unpleasant experience. To help ease the burden and to ensure survivors will have the necessary details for filing a claim, here are some basic quick tips.
- The veteran's discharge certificate or DD 214
- The veteran's VA claim number or Social Security number
- The veteran's death certificate
- Government life insurance policy
- A copy of all marriage certificates and divorce decrees (if any)
- A copy of each child's birth certificate (or adoption order)
- The veteran's birth certificate to determine parents' benefits