The original structure was built in 1947 to honor citizens from Perry Township, Armstrong County, Pennsylvania who served in WWII. The brick structure with glass pane and names painted in calligraphy on wooden tiles had deteriorated from the elements to the point we were in danger of losing the names. American Legion Post 488 raised funds and built a new structure in granite with the original 80 names permanently engraved. Additional veterans who served later are included by placing engraved paving bricks along the memorial walkway, which also was the main fund-raiser for the new memorial. Legion members built a concrete footer to hold a large gray granite block from Georgia engraved "Perry Township Honor Roll." On top of this is a polished black granite slab from Pennsylvania with the names of 80 Perry Township citizens, 6 logos for our military services, and an engraved US flag fluttering in the breeze. Donegal Monument Company is credited with procuring the granite and completing the engraving. The walkway to the memorial holds 178 engraved bricks placed in black sand to honor later veterans from the surrounding area, with another brick order pending. A new brushed aluminum flag pole with solar powered light, an iron and wood bench, and a new pavilion complete the Honor Roll.
Date of Installation:
July 2, 2016
Organization Responsible for Installation:
American Legion Post 488, "Bishop-Madden" Post, Brady's Bend, PA
Memorial War Era(s):
758 Queenstown Road Karns City, PA 16041 About half way between Petrolia and Brady's Bend on Queenstown Road N41-01.58, W079-40.36 in DM.M format
Published on March 8, 2017