It is not known who originally placed this memorial, although it was next to a bank parking lot on US Rt. 202, south of US Rt. 1 in Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania. The plaque was dedicated on November 11, 1966. As the area was cleared for a new shopping center, local veterans conserved the memorial plaque after the original cannon atop the 1966 memorial had been stolen, and the base needed to be removed for the shopping center construction. At a ceremony on 10/16/2016, the memorial was rededicated with the 1966 plaque on a new pedestal with a new cannon on top. Photos are from the time of the rededication, showing it in position at the new location, parts of the program and history of the memorial, and a newspaper article from that time explaining the evolution of the memorial.
Date of Installation:
November 11, 1966
Organization Responsible for Installation:
Memorial War Era(s):
39°52'28.4"N 75°32'34.6"W Behind stores located at 1751 Wilmington Pike, Chadds Ford, PA 19317
Published on March 3, 2020