CHARLOTTE, N.C. – (Aug. 28, 2023) – The American Legion Media & Communications Commission held a daylong Media Training Workshop and special awards luncheon for the 2023 The American Legion Media Alliance (TALMA) contest winners during the 104th National Convention of The American Legion, held at the Charlotte Convention Center.
The agenda included:
• Creating Be the One bracelets to promote the Legion’s suicide prevention initiative
• Veterans Affairs’ PTSD Coach App and utilization
• Creating QR codes for recruiting new members and/or fundraising efforts
• Capturing awarding-winning photos
• Tips to asking the best interview questions
• Design a newsletter and increase open rates
• Get print and web advertising in post, district or department newsletters
• How to start a podcast
Members unable to attend the workshop were able to view it live on the National Headquarters Facebook page.
In between the training, the TALMA Awards Luncheon was held at the Westin Charlotte where Legionnaires from posts, districts, and departments were presented plaques in the following categories:
• Social Media
• Visual Media
• Public Relations
Present to receive his award for Editorial/News for posts membership of 250 – 749 was Commander Burrell Parmer of Fred Brock American Legion Post 828 in San Antonio. Additionally, receiving awards were Legionnaire Catherine Mondy Boyce of Glenn Oaks American Legion Post 560 in Houston (Public Relations) and Legionnaire Michael Hayes of Chris Kyle American Legion Post 388 in Midlothian, Texas (Website).
“I want to thank TALMA for providing a program that allows Legionnaires the opportunity to present the work they do in their posts, districts and departments,” said Parmer, who was attending his first national convention. “As TALMA is being dissolved, it is my hope that the contest continues and national recognizes the great works being done by its membership.”